Saturday 3 March 2012

15th week Halkidiki, Katerina Kamping, Thessoloniki down east coast of Greece

Monday, 8th August 2011. No word from George. I emailed him to say that I'd been on the internet and knew a lot more about the strike and what the Government was trying to do. His licence fee would be wiped out if they let more people have licences and therefore his little nest egg might be entirely wiped out. No wonder he was feeling stressed, he really shouldn't have spent all that money on me, especially when he wasn't earning any. In a few days the strike was suspended until September when the Government had issued their revised legislation. Several days at Camping Katerina, and I feel very tired, probably relaxed! Have managed to spring clean garage, found that the bed motor isn't working, nor is the light! So I'll have to fix that sooner or later. Got the tar off the wheels today and also most of the rest of the body. Did use some polish on the scratches and they may well come out. Been on www and received a reply from Swinton and now have my motorhome renewal price. Had been sent without the name of Swinton in title and probably went straight to spam, as it did today. So will phone tomorrow and sort that out. Been trying to get passage on ferry too, but I still can't get into the web link, it keeps throwing me out. Emailed Fiat for the part number and someone on Fiat Forum came back and said they would try and source it, if I got the part number. Might have to try another Fiat in the area. Looks as if it is something that occurs quite regularly in Fiats. I decided to have a go at taking the dash board apart. Got a link from the Fiat forum; a man had taken out his switch, so I was able to copy what he said and I thought I would have a go. Did get some part numbers, sent them to Christ at Soul Garages, but that didn't mean a thing to him. Eventually he sent me a catalogue page of the heater/fan switch and there it was, part number as well. Would I confirm it was the right one. Yes, it looked like it. He then took a picture the next day of the actual part, which he asked me to confirm. Just like me, I'd put most of the screws back in, so had to undue them to take a picture. Sent it to Chris. Within minutes he'd emailed back to say that was the right one. He would airmail it and get me the price asap.

Had a good evening with the Serbians last night, looking at their pictures of the trip to the monastery on Mount Athos, the Serbian one. Hadn't read the text far enough would have found a little information. Getting itchy feet, yet again, can't really stay in one place very long.

OK so have done lots of forum words! Fiat forum, who put in touch with Chris@soulgarages.co.uk or partsmk@soulgarages.co.uk in Milton Keynes, must visit him on my return. Just hope the part he's sent out does the trick, if not oops! Also went on Out and About live and there is a fuse belonging to my bed motor and rear garage light. Reread the wiring diagram with a magnifying glass and found it! Saved myself a lot of money over the last two weeks. I've also found, after phoning Athens, that I don't have to book the ferry to Andros, the lady said there would be no problem. So will leave early on 15th, stay overnight somewhere and then roll up to ferry on 16th couple of hours before and probably meet up with Sara.

Saturday, 12th August, 2011 The Serbians have gone, sad to see them go. It was their first time camping and I think they had a great time. Good job there are some Austrians next door now, the Greek woman who told me off originally hasn't spoken since, nor me to her! May just go and get a pizza tomorrow evening on my bike now that I know it isn't far. All a bit of an anticlimax now. Had text from Simon all aboard the flight, probably home by now! Emailed Orange too, the money they are taking from me is horrendous. I want an explanation regarding their charges, I've not sent photos or anything. I'm keeping a log of each text now! Sally texted, all home safely, she was hungry went and got a Kebab! I played Spider Solitaire, got into it until inverter started whistling.

Saturday, 13th August, 2011 Got woken up by a very angry baby this morning, thought of moving up the other end and then realised I would be quite a way from the showers etc. So decided to stay put, only another 2 nights, can' believe that I can't stay put for more than a week! It will be 11 nights by the time I leave. Email from Sara this morning saying that John would be buying me some groceries, mountain spring water was OK to drink, I hope so. She also listed all the animals they have, I'm going to have a fun time. Really looking forward to it now. Heard from Orange saying that although they had phoned me yesterday, did I say I would not answer phone calls in my email! Orange had changed my rates! Did I know that! I had been receiving updates, which I apparently didn't know about and that it was costing me, I hadn't asked for that either. Would I please phone customer services , No, I wont, it was going to cost me. I would get back to UK in October and hopefully have a full explanation!

Sunday 14th August 2011 Woke up bright and early because I had decided to leave and go down to Sara's. I'd paid my 105€ for 10 nights without electric (€3.20 day) the previous evening, said my thanks and goodbyes. I left about 8am and headed back the way I'd come along the southern coast and passed wild camping spots which I didn't see on the way down; one particular one at Perimetriki, Sithonias, Eukea N39-57-47 E23-55-37 (between two beaches).

Several other places looked promising, especially when you saw a string of motorhomes along the beach! I was told that winter on Halkadiki, really wasn't on because sometimes they could have 3 feet of snow right down to the beach!

Journey to Andros. Retraced my route back towards Thessoloniki, I got diesel at 37631 miles (1.42€) 72€. and then took the motorway A1/E90 then E75/A1 and low and behold I came to my first motorway toll which was about 6€; it was busy at the toll booths, but absolutely no lorries because it was a national holiday and it made the route quiet. The road was good so I wandered down as far as Mount Olympos tried to get to the archaeological site, but there was far too much traffic, and of course a Sunday, so I got to the top of the hill in the town, round the roundabout and back again, deciding to turn right so I would go to the south of Mount Olympos and up into the mountains and further into the centre. The scenery was wonderful, I thoroughly enjoyed it, coming down to the town of Larisa, picked up the B road and made my way down to Volos and along the coast to Kala Nera where there was a camp site. However it looked very full and not suitable for motorhomes, so I stayed the night at and Volou Argalastis between Platanidiou – Milion/Stavrodromiou N39°18”56' E23°04'17”. There was a sign “Free Parking” next to a block of flats, opposite the coast road.
Mount Olympos I think!

 somewhere after Mount Olympus, or perhaps looking at a different angle

Herd of wild horses on route

Just opposite the parking space



No comments:

Post a Comment