Saturday 3 March 2012

21st week Journey home


Monday, 19th September, 2011 Left Eupen about 9am to travel to Dunkirk via the motorway. The large building which looked like a liner I had seen on the way over, looked better from this angle going towards Dunkirk. It was actually a Hilton Hotel, which I hadn't noticed on the original journey. Again, no further problems on the road except when I hit the Dunkirk area. I tried to find the Car Ferry port. There were long queues going along the motorway, so I decided to google a Supermarket and found an Auchan not too far away. But before I did, I saw a McDonalds, had lunch, a bit expensive but free wifi. Caught up with about 10 days of emails before I got home. Found the huge Super Duper supermarket Auchan, to purchase red and white wine ordered by my son. Found a very lovely lady assistant who advised me which wines were good, in the price range that I required. Don't really like buying wine for other people, you never know what is good. Anyway Simon, a connoisseur of French wines (at least he knows more than I do), reckoned that anything from Burgundy and the Rhone valley would be OK. Kate and Simon had met in Beaune when they both worked for an American Hot Air Balloon company back in the early 1990's. They both speak French; Kate teaches French to youngsters in the Harpenden, Hertfordshire area. I still get along with my schoolgirl French, with my cockney accent! I am understood! Just!

By the time I found the Car Ferry noticeboards heading away from Auchan, it was time for tea, a quick nap, settling down for the night in the car park next to the docks. A 6am early start was required to be ready to queue up for the DFSL ferry service which I had booked last December through the Camping and Caravan Club.

Tuesday, 20th September, 2011 Good journey over, quite calm, not very crowded either. Exiting Dover docks was uneventful as usual, not being pulled over by customs this time. Found a Morrison’s Supermarket near to Canterbury, to have a nap, it was a bit noisy last night near the docks! At least it was quieter than the roadside lay-bys, you can't have a nap very easily there, you are buffeted by the big lorries and coaches all the time. Made it to Harpenden by 2.15pm, Margot didn't recognise me. However it was a big game to keep me hidden when we got to school to pick up Sophia and Rosanna. We were sitting outside the wrong class entrance so the girls found Kate before they found me. Big hug from Sophia, but even bigger hug from Rosanna, because she didn't know I was coming back. It was so good to be with the girls again, and my how they had grown in 5 months and also they looked so much more grown up. We all went to the swimming pool for their weekly lessons, came home, Simon was there, home early from work. Brought the van down so that we could off load the wine for storage, and then re-park the motorhome further up the road for the night. Home again after nearly 5 months, 10,000 miles and lots and lots of memories. A safe journey, the van performed brilliantly, no further hiccups with the engine battery, but I'm keeping an eye on it! Tomorrow I would be visiting my daughter Sally to celebrate her new job with Tesco's, her new cat, and her holiday next year from St Petersburg to Beijing by the Orient Express. Wow, I wouldn't mind doing that, have a change from driving all that way, perhaps a few years time. Now to sort out all this writing, photographs, mementoes etc. etc. Hopefully, my travels will stimulate other single travellers to venture out there, knowing that I managed, felt safe at all times, except for the few minor glitches with the Turkish gentlemen! Happy adventures and safe travelling.

Ann Speirs annigonis@yahoo.com


No comments:

Post a Comment