Saturday 3 March 2012

11th week Aphrodisias, Pamukkale, Hieropolis, to Bodrum11th week, Aphrodisias, Pamukkale, Hieropolis, to Bodrum

Monday 11th July 2011 Next morning decided to go to Aphrodisias, Pamukkale, Hieropolis. Everything started off fine, until I hit the roadworks, again. And the tar on the road. Hells Bells, just cleaned my van, now I'm getting more on it. Got some diesel at 36104, they wanted me to wash my van. No thanks, just wasn't going to do it until I got home. Too much trouble and it would only get dirty yet again! A lady attendant understood, the old gentleman in the office, sprayed me with a lovely lemon scent, did I smell? No just to cool me down. Thanks very much! I looked at the bottle it was from the 
Acpet chain of petrol stations, just a lemon spray. Haven't found one of them yet, but will keep a lookout. Got to Aphrodisias, couldn't park near the Jardarma, had to go back up the road and pay 10TL in a car park there. A tractor towed trailer gave me a very bumpy ride to the ruins. Again it was very hot, but there was a lot there to look at, another Theatre, suitable stadium very well preserved, many reed beds, and I'm sure there were springs in these beds because they were so green. The one thing that impressed me was the Athena Gate apparently an earthquake had demolished it,
but left most intact, that was how they managed to renovate it. It was really magnificent. This gate was in a lovely well watered field and over to the right I could see a modern grave. It belonged to Kenant T Erim.The official archaeologist from Istanbul who had given over 30 years of his life to this particular site and this was a lovely tribute to him. I found his information inside the Museum, right in the entrance way. The museum was marvellous, many statues, they were good whoever did them, and nearly 2000 years old. Pity the ancient Christians decided to deface all the faces, what a real shame. After a long hard day at the ruins I found the café, had another choc Magnum and a Sprite 8.50 TL but I was thirsty and hungry! I got the bumpy trailer ride back to the van and set off to Pamukkale.
TT did a good job until it sent me down a dirt track beside a man-made canal carrying water from somewhere, probably Pamukkale. I got there in the end. I could see the white cliffs as I headed towards the site, lots of traffic too. Was waved down at Baydil camping/caravan site (N37-55-05 E29-07-16 by a gentleman who just wouldn't tell me how much it was. Finally, “30TL”, “I'm on my own”, “OK 25 TL”, “Thanks very much” and pulled into the camp. There were 3 other vans there Dutch I think, didn't really take much notice because I was tired. They left the next morning before I even had time to get dressed and out for the day.
Tuesday, 12th July 2011 Visited Pamukkale, knew I had to walk a long way today, so plimsolls on and I would have to take them off and carry them as I walked up the hill through the water. The site fee was 20TL, most expensive since Istanbul. Never mind this was so different. Had to wear my sunglasses as the glare from the travertines was amazing. The water was cool, except in the bigger pools. Fortunately the tourists
 hadn't arrived on mass yet as it was only 8.30 I took a long time walking up making sure that I didn't slip on some of the green bits, and where the water had run too fast there were gravel patches which were quite sharp on the old feet. It was amazing, never been anywhere like this before. When I got to the top I put my shoes back on and started to walk to my right towards the south gate. This concluded the travertines which was quite some distance. I then started to walk through the ruins, but quickly made my way up, and up, to the Theatre. As usual, very big, in quite a good state of repair, but a lot of renovation going on at the stage. There was only one tree for shade and everybody was under it. The Japanese ladies don't like getting the sun, or the men for that matter, they wear special white armlets that cover their skin. Then you have the exhibitionist in their bikinis, thin and very large! Couldn't quite believe some of the bodies, that were letting it all hang out, fat mostly!  A couple of single ladies asked me to take photos, I must look the friendly type, glad they asked me, but as usual I didn't let them take one of me. Kept walking down towards the
 Ancient baths to see what's what. The price to swim was 25TL well, a bit naughty, you can go down the bottom and have it for free, just outside the complex! Not quite as glamorous though. I had a chicken kebab, very nice, if a bit expensive, well not really 8.50TL about the same as home. The drinks at 5TL were expensive though! I decided to continue along the gardens and look at the travertines from the other end, it was absolutely amazing. They were drying off some of the sections, and other sections, man made pools in the gardens were a bit stagnant and looked disgusting. However, lots of gardeners there, not all managing to keep up with all the maintenance though. I decided to cross over after the tomb in the travertine, looked as though it was in a snow field and look at the rest of the ruins. This end, if you parked at the Northern Gate N37-56-27 E29-07-00 you had a long walk to start
off with, then through the ruins which were again completely amazing and a long walk to get to the public walks in the travertines. One of the best things was the building of the Latrine. It was quite something. It was also explained that the pavement had once been covered by metres of travertine substance and which had to be jack hammered off before they could get to the actual pavement. Again, so much work before this finished result. I would have liked to have seen it a bit more tidy, but the gardeners were strimming some of the grass, and of course it was hot too, nobody can work in that heat, must have been 40+C. It was bad enough just walking and looking. Back at the board walk again and then down the slope to the exit. Loads of people this time and it was a bit tricky trying to go down without slipping over the edge, but yet again I got there safe and sound. I decided to have dinner in the café that night. There were lamb chops on the menu. I asked
what was with them and Mustafa said chips and salad. This was put down as 1 portion of each and that is exactly what I got, and had to pay for it, but the plate with the chops actually came with a few chips and salad, but I got a double helping. These language difficulties - cost me 10TL extra! Not really what I wanted, couldn't eat the chips, but the salad minus the green peppers was scrummy. I did get an apple tea for free to make up for it.
Wednesday, 13th July 2011 Got up reasonably early again to do my washing. Nobody else around I thought, however Mustafa was. Helped me load my washing, wish he hadn't, it then took 2 hrs to complete, don't know why so long. The hand towels I'd washed by hand and rung out were dry by the time I took the rest of the wash out of the machine. Could have saved myself another 10TL, never mind. Had a day of typing up my notes, still doing it at 9.10pm. but coming to an end now. Decided to go to Bodram tomorrow, find a camp site and then get the bus in hopefully on Friday, as things were shut Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Right day to go. Mustafa wanted me to stay yet another day, just couldn't take that! Some Italians arrived, why do they have to shout, they parked so close to me and were shouting at their friends who had parked over by the trees. Happily they went over next to them and left me in peace. All I could hear was Mustafa calling "Darling, Darling" well, I ignored him.
Thursday, 14th July 2011 Got up bright and early Mustafa was about, I paid my bill of 25TL a night plus 10TL, I said his brother had agreed to that price at the gate when I arrived. His brother was fast asleep on the sofa in the large lounge, heavy night! His young son, the one who left skid marks with his electric scooter all over the lounge floor was nowhere to be seen. I was going to suggest he picked up the rubbish in the car park below, just to give him something more constructive to do, rather than fill his already stout belly with more ice creams etc. and leave tyre rubber on the floor for someone else to clean off! So I was on my way, through Denizli and down the E87 road to where I had turned off at Kale, silly TT again. If you tell it fastest route, it takes you by that, regardless of where it takes you, but that doesn't always apply. (Karatepe!) It was quite a good road, until further roadworks started again. Got to Yatagan and found a Fiat Dealer and asked to buy a 40 amp fuse which cost me 10TL. I was spoken to by a very English voice, who spoke perfect Turkish as well. He made no comment about my statement, just said he had brought the service technician who would find out if this is what I wanted. I just wanted to buy the fuse, thank you very much. When I was sure that it wasn't the fuse, then I would make other enquiries. I thanked them and left. I got to Bodrum, very lovely road entering, saw the castle, made for it, obviously couldn't park anywhere. Kept going out to the harbour, found a cash machine, as I realised having bought all those groceries that I didn't have any money. The road inevitably ended in a hotel complex I had to reverse up hill, which wasn't easy, a lovely young man opened his barrier to let me reverse into so that I didn't have to go totally backwards up the hill.
I found a lovely place to park overlooking the sea, was getting comfortable when there was someone honking their horn quite profusely, just didn't stop, started singing, making overtures to a parked van, well, did I need this, certainly not! I prepared to leave. I thought I might just try and find the camp site, which didn't happen, too many narrow roads to go down, so I launched myself in the direction of Didim, for the Temple of Apollo. The main carpark N37-23-06 E27-15-14.
 
 
I obviously arrived quite late, parked up, and walked round to the temple. The ticket office was closed, and there were lots of people going in to have a look so, I joined them. It was amazing. Huge pillars, the most spectacular I'd seen up until now. The main hall was also huge, with tunnels taking you down into the hall, or main temple. You really have to look around you and stare in awe. How did this ancient people do it. With just a lot of ancient people to help them, I suppose. How did they build the pillars with so many pieces of stone, one on top of the other, they were huge. Whilst I walked around I came to the rear of the temple and one of the huge pillars had toppled and they had been propped up when they fell, I thought this was an excellent way of showing the toppled pillar. I kept going around the temple, still day dreaming about its size. Walked back to the van and tried to find the camping place at Altinkum Plaj. All I found was a car park where I could turn round. As it was getting really late by then I decided to go back to the car park at the Apollo Temple, by the café and stay the night. When I got there, I got a surprise, the car park was practically full, the café’s musicians were in full swing, and I would have entertainment as I cooked my evening meal. The music didn't stop until gone 12, and I was still awake, still awake at 3am too. Must have been the Coke I had drunk, too much caffeine, hadn't had Coke in a long while, and not as much as I had drunk. I finally did get off to sleep, had a few hours and decided it was time to go to Milet up the road.

Friday 15th July 2011 Knew by the time I got to Milet, N37-31-49 E27-16-25 still relatively early, that I wasn't feeling too good, very tired. Parked up in the Car park fortunately under a gum tree, paid my 3TL to enter and 2TL to park. Lots of people didn't pay either to park or enter. They parked their cars out the front away from the ticket office. The officers weren't the least bit perturbed, but the government/municipality certainly lost a lot of revenue that day, and most days because the ticket office bore no relation to where the public entered the site. Bad planning. The first thing you saw was the Theatre, again very large, in very good condition and you could quite easily climb up the steps and survey the inside tunnels

and surrounding countryside. After this you walked up towards the flag to look at the Byzantine remains of their castle. Walking across and looking down you could see the entire site, which was massive as usual and you could just make out the land masses which were once the town and those which were once the sea, as this had been an open port to the sea, through the river Menderes (Meanders). However the river was not in the immediate vicinity any more. You could see the spacious baths, the ceremonial road, etc. However something must have flooded it recently because of all the flotsam that was laying around and some very soggy parts in which cattle had wandered through at some stage. I never did find out when it had last flooded. As usual there were a few stray dogs around, one had a really good go at me, I ignored it, as best I could and just walked away.
The Museum with very welcome air conditioning
There was another dozing in the shade, on the steps. I was now getting very tired and tried to finish my visit pretty quickly and get back to the van. Having got there and tried to sleep, the driver of the van next door was trying to find out what was wrong with his electric sliding door and it was going backwards and forwards incessantly! Was I going to have a nap, No. There was also a stray dog looking sadly at me on my doorstep. I gave him some water and bread. I had one tin of sardines and he had that, very quickly. I decided to walk up towards the museum, but I couldn't even see it, and my body told me it didn't want to. So when I got back to the van I noticed the dog had taken up residence just in front of my back wheels. When it was time to go, just starting the engine didn't have any effect, I had to get out and shoo him away. So, up the road to the Museum, it was further than I thought. Parked the van outside the courtyard, it was easier and went inside. 3TL to get in and the attendance gave me a book on Anding. It was beautifully air conditioned inside. Marvellous. It was very interesting too, I was engrossed; then my tummy told me I had to get back to the van pretty quickly. I rushed out said I would be back please, in a few moments and hoped he would understand. And so I was, to finish up viewing artifacts from Priene and Apollo as well as here. It was a good museum. I said goodbye, but forgot there was an outside exhibition as well. There were a lot of other pieces of stone masonry, statues, wine jars, mosaics in quite an unkempt piece of courtyard. I did wonder sometimes if they just forgot about the tidiness of this place, or just that there was no money to keep it tidy?
Walking up to the site at Priene
There was still time to find Priene and Dogenbey, but I discovered I'd forgotten to fill up with diesel and the warning light had come on. Another 10km further on apparently. I did get there put in 100TL worth cos it was about 3,67TL which was expensive. I turned round and went back to Priene N37-39-36 E27-18-03. Paid my 3TL to get in and 5TL to park! I took my brolly, thinking it would keep the sun off me, but the wind got up quite strongly and I had to use it to help me get up the hill. It was quite a walk, all the time I was thinking, I should never have come while it was so hot, everyone else comes in the months of March, April, May when it's not so hot. I can never come again at this time. I first of all did the Theatre, which was Hellenistic, small compared to Milet, but built into the side of the mountain with the
mountain soaring above it to the rear. Climbing up then looking down, it was amazing that the front part, the stage, had held up so well. I didn't go right to the top, couldn't summon the energy. Then there was the Temple to Athena, again very big, huge columns right on the edge of the highest tier of the plateau. Looking over the edge you could just make out the Sacred Road which lead down to Milet and Didim, or was it just a paved path and I made up the rest! There were various structures, all quite intact, or renovated, enough to keep anyone amused as they looked around. However, I was starting to flag again, so even though I couldn't quite investigate the whole site, it was time to go down and drive away, heading in the direction of Kusadasi where I knew there was a camp site and then onto Ephases after a bit of a rest.

Saturday, 16th July 2011 Yat Camping N37-52-05 E27-15-59. (Do not use the campsite water to fill up here, and don't drink it. Buy bottled water.) Slept a lot last night, but got up had breakfast and went back to sleep again! I was pooped, not well at all. Did manage to get down to the wifi and speak to the family for about 25minutes but I really wasn't there 100%. Went back to van, still feeling quite nauseous and giddy, Simon said I might be loosing too much body salt, he had a point there, had never ever tasted so much salt on my lips if I licked them!
Sunday 17th July 2011 Slept well again, but still feel grotty. Tried to get to the chemist, they were shut; did find a grocery store for some water, the camp site apparently didn't have drinking water. Decided yet again to have an easy day. Met a Welsh lady walking back to the camp site who'd suddenly developed onset of gout, so she couldn't walk far, and of course couldn't find the emergency chemist either. She was going back to UK tomorrow night so would get rescued at home. Whilst I've not been well, I read the book about the area Aydin, and you could spend a good few weeks visiting all the sites in the area. If the Turkish government issue this book and for all the counties it would really make some interesting reading and I would have to look into it just in case I ever did come back at a more suitable time of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment